So Upfronts Week ends for the broadcast networks with The CW announcing its schedule for next season. The network adds 6 new shows to its lineup: 3 dramas and 3 reality shows. Helped by the fact that CW only picked up 3 scripted shows, all 3 look really good.
- Hart of Dixie [Drama – Mondays @ 9]: City girl Dr. Zoe Hart finds herself moving to a small town in Alabama to take over a medical practice. I’m typically over the whole medical drama thing, but it’s a show on CW. And its got Rachel Bilson (yes Summer Roberts!) But really, Rachel Bilson back in a show produced by Josh Schwartz, is pretty much a no brainer for me to watch.
- Ringer [Drama – Tuesdays @ 9]: Do you really need to know anything else other than the fact that Sarah Michelle Gellar is back on TV and on CW on Tuesdays where Buffy used to air (in the good ol’ WB days of course)? Just kidding, of course you still need to know something about the show. SMG stars as Bridget, a woman who becomes witness to a murder, and while fearing for her life, takes on the life of her well-off twin sister Siobhan, only to find out that her sister’s life is just as dangerous and complicated as hers. How’s that for complicated? CBS passed on the show feeling that it wasn’t the right fit for the network, so they gave it to CW (a division of CBS). Like I said, SMG back on TV is a lock on my schedule.
- The Secret Circle [Drama – Thursdays @ 9]: A teenage girl moves to a new town after the death of her mother and finds out she’s a witch that’s part of a secret coven. Because simply having The Vampire Diaries wasn’t enough for CW, they now have this show which is also based on a series of books by L.J Smith (the author of TVD series) and executive produced by Kevin Williamson. Naturally, they pair this with TVD, creating a 2 hour block of supernatural beings by Kevin Williamson. I was hesitant about TVD when I first heard about it, partially from not reading the books, but now I love it. So I’m sure Secret Circle will suck me in as well – no hesitations this time.
- H8er [Reality – Wednesdays @ 8]: From the CW press release, “Celebrities go head-to-head with civilians who hate them to win their ‘haters’ over.” Not interested.
Re-Modeled and The Frame [Reality – Midseason]: I don’t care enough to even write what they’re about. I just never like CW reality shows, but that’s just me.
Other Scheduling News/Changes:
- Gossip Girl changes its time slot from 9 to 8 on Mondays, making Mondays a Josh Schwartz/Stephanie Savage produced 2-hour block of TV.
- Subsequently, 90210 now moves back to its former Tuesdays time slot @ 8.
- America’s Next Top Model moves to the 9:00 slot on Wednesdays.
- Nikita got renewed for a 2nd season and will now be airing on Fridays @ 8. Great, so I went from practically having nothing to watch on Fridays to having 3 of my favourite shows on the same night.
- One Tree Hill also got renewed. The 9th and final season will air midseason. Although I must say, the season finale that aired would’ve been a perfect series finale because everybody’s happy now. But sure, I’ll take a final season.
- Officially cancelled – Hellcats. I’m actually kind of okay with the cancellation. I mean it was a fun show to watch, but I’m sure I’m not gonna miss it, especially with that season/series finale which was a little all over the place. Plus we got 3 new shows that look pretty awesome, so there’s that.
…And we’re done for Upfronts!