I loved The Nerdy Girlie’s Boy Band edition of Music Monday last week that I kinda had to steal her idea. Ok, so stealing isn’t the right word, more like inspired. From time to time, I still go back and listen to songs from 5ive, BBMak, and SoulDecision, but their inclusion in Megan’s list got me thinking: What other songs did I used to listen as an impressionable young teen that might have been forgotten about or didn’t quite strike the same nostalgia chords as say an NSYNC or Backstreet Boys song did or for some reason weren’t quite as big a hit as I might have thought they were? I mean being Canadian, we got music that came out of the U.S., homegrown in Canada, and stuff from the U.K., so I’m not even sure if everyone has heard all of these songs. Oh well!
- Westlife, Swear It Again
- S Club 7, S Club Party – If you know this song, you love it. Don’t lie.
- All Saints, I Know Where It’s At
- MyTown, Party All Night – For the longest time, I didn’t realize that Danny and Mark from The Script used to be in this boy band. Like seriously. I couldn’t believe it and now I can’t help but giggle every time I listen to The Script.
- M2M, Mirror Mirror
- Eden’s Crush, Get Over Yourself – Hey, remember the first girl group Nicole Scherzinger was apart of?
- A-Teens, Upside Down
- Robyn, Show Me Love – Robyn is known as a dance artist these days, but when she first came on the scene, she was decidedly much more pop.
- 5ive, When the Lights Go Out – I had to include this song, if only so I can mention the music video. Now they had a video when the song was released in the UK but then they did another one for the US release…AND it featured Bethany Joy Lenz (aka Haley from One Tree Hill)!
- Jennifer Love Hewitt, How Do I Deal – When JLH tried her hand at singing. It wasn’t bad – and she did actually release a couple albums – it just wasn’t spectacular.
- Jennifer Paige, Crush – I legitimately loved this song, almost on par with Natalie Imbruglia’s Torn.
- Sugar Jones, Days Like That – Canada’s girl group that came out of the show Popstars, similar to how Eden’s Crush was created.
- Scene 23, I Really Don’t Think So – Hey, remember when Josh Henderson was in this pop group before becoming an actor?
- Willa Ford, I Wanna Be Bad
- Dream, He Loves U Not
- BBMak, Back Here – Because I still love this song. And it still totally holds up to this day.
Man, I could totally extend this list even more. But I won’t. This has been fun though, so I may have to do more Music Monday posts.
And for your listening pleasure, a Spotify playlist featuring (almost) all the songs!
Because even Spotify has its limits, I’ve included the videos for the missing songs below.