2014 is but a distant memory now, so here’s what I’m looking forward to watching on TV in 2015!
Last year (does it seem weird to already say that?) seemed like a really good year with an abundance of really good-great TV. I surely hope 2015 will only bring us more awesome TV, plus maybe enough time to actually watch these shows. On top of that, I want the networks to not hastily cancel perfectly good shows that maybe just need a little time (i.e. Selfie), or better promotion (i.e. Trophy Wife, Enlisted), or for goodness sakes, let them have proper endings (i.e. Witches of East End)! Since we’re on the topic, there will be several shows that will indeed be ending in 2015, including Parks and Recreation (Jan. 13), Parenthood (final episodes start Jan. 7), and Cougar Town (Jan. 6).
But with the end of some shows (and brutal cancellations of others), come a new crop of shows hoping to watched/loved/adored. These are the ones I’m most excited about and know of; come April-May when Upfronts rolls around and we hear about even more new shows, well, we’ll talk about it then.
- Agent Carter (Jan. 6) – The wonderful Hayley Atwell is coming to TV, reprising her role as Peggy Carter from the Captain America films. If the tie-in to Marvel wasn’t enough, they assembled a hell of supporting cast for the show, including Dominic Cooper reprising his role as Howard Stark, James D’Arcy as Jarvis, Chad Michael Murray(!), Enver Gjokaj(!!), and Lyndsy Fonseca(!!!).
- 12 Monkeys (Jan. 16) – I can’t tell you how excited I am for this show! Mind you, I haven’t even watched the 1995 Bruce Willis/Brad Pitt movie from which it was based, but the people working on this show is more than enough for me. Terry Matalas and Travis Fickett, former writers on Nikita, created the show. Some of my favourite actors from old favourite shows/movies star: Aaron Stanford (Nikita), Amanda Schull (Center Stage, Suits), Kirk Acevedo (Fringe), Noah Bean (Nikita). Plus, they lined up some pretty awesome guest stars as well like Ari Millen (Orphan Black) and Xander Berkeley (Nikita). Seriously, you’d think I was casting the show or something, with all these people I adore being on it.
- Empire (Jan. 7) – Terrence Howard and Taraji P. Henson star in this musical soap set in the hip-hop world. The show will feature original music from the amazing Timbaland. It’s definitely going to be a lot of fun to watch, that’s for sure.
- Fresh Off the Boat (Feb. 4) – Asian family in the 90s. That’s all I need. I have faith that this show will be hilarious and awesome, I just need ABC to not let me down.
- iZombie (TBA) – Saw a preview of this show from Rob Thomas and starring Rose McIver at SDCC. It seems very funny and quirky, and with a supporting cast that includes Robert Buckley and David Anders? I can’t wait to see more! Now give it a premiere date already, CW!
- Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (March) – Tina Fey and Robert Carlock created this show, starring Ellie Kemper as Kimmy, who is trying to re-adjust to life in the city after being a part of a doomsday cult. The series was initially picked up by NBC, but has surprisingly found a home on Netflix.
And let’s not forget shows returning for another season: Orphan Black (Apr. 18), Salem (April), The Americans (Jan. 28), second half of season 4 of Suits (Jan. 28), House of Cards (February).
What are you looking forward to watching this new year?